Leather Bound & Lovely home about reviews contact policy

2.15.2012

The Demon Trapper’s Daughter by Jana Oliver


Title: The Demon Trapper’s Daughter
Author: Jana Oliver
Pages: 355
Release: February 1st, 2011

Synopsis:(from Goodreads) It’s the year 2018, and with human society seriously disrupted by the economic upheavals of the previous decade, Lucifer has increased the number of demons in all major cities. Atlanta is no exception. Fortunately, humans are protected by Demon Trappers, who work to keep homes and streets safe from the things that go bump in the night. Seventeen-year-old Riley, only daughter of legendary Demon Trapper Paul Blackthorne, has always dreamed of following in her father’s footsteps. When she’s not keeping up with her homework or trying to manage her growing attraction to fellow Trapper apprentice, Simon, Riley’s out saving citizens from Grade One Hellspawn. Business as usual, really, for a demon-trapping teen. When a Grade Five Geo-Fiend crashes Riley’s routine assignment at a library, jeopardizing her life and her chosen livelihood, she realizes that she’s caught in the middle of a battle between Heaven and Hell.

My Thoughts:
This book really had all the outwardly appeal to draw me to it. The cover was pretty cool looking, the title seemed interesting enough, and my best friend had previously recommended I read it so I figured it had to be good.
Well, boy was I right! I gobbled up this book within about 2 days and was eager to buy the sequel “Soul Thief” almost as quickly.

My only real qualm with this book is…Where is the backstory? We get set up in this (slightly) futuristic world and it hints that the economy had something to do with the downfall of society as we know it, but there is never really any explanation and that was something I was looking forward to but unfortunately, never got.
I must say a couple other quirks that I didn’t like but that I don’t feel had a huge impact on my feelings of the book:
      1.)  It was also a little slow, but the ending brings it together so well that I could easily overlook the slow parts.
       2.)  Beck is supposed to be country, but I found a lot of his dialogue really unrealistic and hard to mentally digest what/how he would speak. Although that was kind of something that I found “different” it didn’t bug me too much and a lot of the time I didn’t get hung up on it.

Other than that, I loved the book, characters, setting, and plot. I found Riley to be a relatable character and I enjoyed that she had a best friend, Peter, who was not a part of the love triangle? Square? Heck…it will just qualify as some sort of polygon. I felt like Oliver’s version of Atlanta was easy to imagine and had some really cool locations in it. So, it was a good book and I enjoyed it.

In Short:
Rating: 4/5
Purchase or Check Out? Purchase, for sure! It’s a book worth having on your shelf.
Would I read it again?: Maybe.


No comments:

Post a Comment