Leather Bound & Lovely home about reviews contact policy

2.16.2012

Hereafter by Tara Hudson


Title: Hereafter
Author: Tara Hudson
Pages: 404
Release: June 7th, 2011

Synopsis:(from Goodreads) Can there truly be love after death? Drifting in the dark waters of a mysterious river, the only thing Amelia knows for sure is that she's dead. With no recollection of her past life--or her actual death--she's trapped alone in a nightmarish existence. All of this changes when she tries to rescue a boy, Joshua, from drowning in her river. As a ghost, she can do nothing but "will" him to live. Yet in an unforgettable moment of connection, she helps him survive. Amelia and Joshua grow ever closer as they begin to uncover the strange circumstances of her death and the secrets of the dark river that held her captive for so long. But even while they struggle to keep their bond hidden from the living world, a frightening spirit named Eli is doing everything in his power to destroy their newfound happiness and drag Amelia back into the ghost world forever.

My Thoughts:
I will be honest and say I did not enjoy this book. Before I start discussing what I did and did not like, I would like to make it clear that this is my personal opinion and my taste in books could be completely different from any other reader.

What I did like about this book was the cover art obviously! It’s a gorgeous cover and I know that is one reason why I was drawn to this book. I also really liked the plot and what it could have been. It was a great story, don’t ever doubt that; a girl who died and has no memories but is drawn to a guy who is the only human who can see her. I also liked the character development of Joshua and his family. I liked the little glimpse of his home life we were given.

As for what I did not like, this novel had a great plot, but it wasn’t executed in a way I felt was believable or kept me eager to keep reading. I found the main villain, Eli, to be not threatening in the least bit, and the “organization” after Amelia, never followed through, so that was a pretty empty plot line that the author made out to be a bigger deal than it was. My biggest problem was the ending. I understand it is meant to be a series of books, but there were so many loose ends that I did not feel satisfied with the book being over. I still had so many questions, but unfortunately, no drive or interest to purchase the next book.
In Short:
Rating: 2/5
Purchase or Check Out?: Borrow, if you really want it.
Would I read it again?: No

Positive Reviews:

No comments:

Post a Comment